Believe it or not, I learned this recipe from my grandmother. For those of you that knew my grandmother, a Mexican casserole would probably be the last thing you would imagine her making. Alas, here is the recipe and it is good! And easy ... and gluten free ... In this house, those three things trump all else.
12 corn tortillas
About 1 pound diced chicken breast
2 cloves garlic
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 large jar salsa
large can corn
1 cup sour cream
2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
1. Cook chicken, garlic, onion and pepper in a little bit of oil until the chicken is cooked.
2. Add salsa and corn - heat through.
3. Mix the sour cream and 1 1/2 cups of cheese together. Set aside.
4. Layer 4 tortillas over the bottom of a greased deep dish pie pan.
5. Spoon 1/2 the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
6. Spoon 1/2 the sour cream mixture over the chicken.
7. Layer 4 tortillas over the sour cream mixture.
8. Repeat with the remaining chicken and sour cream cheese mixtures.
9. Cover with four tortillas. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
10. Cook at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. (You can cover with foil for the first 30 minutes.)