|Sweet Potato and Gouda Gratin|
|Shredded gouda and |
sliced sweet potatoes
1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded gouda cheese
2 cups heavy cream or half and half
1. Thinly slice the sweet potatoes and layer half of them in a baking dish that can go from the oven to the table.
2. Sprinkle half the shredded gouda cheese over the sweet potatoes and about 1 cup of the heavy cream or half and half.
|Sweet potatoes, shredded gouda, and a little cream|
|Layer the remaining sweet potatoes|
4. Sprinkle remaining gouda cheese over the top and pour the remaining cream gently over everything.
5. Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
6. Remove the foil and cook for another 45 minutes or so until the top gets a little brown and the potatoes are cooked through.
A few notes ...
Why gouda? I decided to use gouda cheese because I had half of a wedge of gouda left over from a party on Christmas eve. The gouda tasted absolutely delicious but I looked up a few recipes for a sweet potato gratin with cheese and saw all types of cheese being used - goat cheese, manchego cheese, fontina, cheddar ... you name it. I don't think you can go wrong with a good cheese, good cream, and fresh sweet potatoes.
|Slow pasteurized half & half|
Mandoline vs. hand slicing ... I used to have a mandoline but I recently broke it. It really wasn't that hard to cut these potatoes thin enough to use in this recipe. The sweet potato slices don't have to be paper thin - shoot for about 1/8 of an inch to a 1/4 inch thick.
Enjoy!! I promise you that everyone will love this recipe! Yum.