|Creamy Potato & Cauliflower Soup|
I know that I have raved about my slow cooker before but, truly, my children would go hungry if it weren't for this $30 piece of essential kitchen equipment. Dinner time is about 5pm here - just about the time the twins get off the bus, the baby wakes up from his nap, and I walk in the door from work. Knowing that something fabulous is simmering away, ready to be served, makes that chaos all the more
manageable. I often make soup in my slow cooker. Soup can be easily made on the stove but it can just as easily be made in a slow cooker... perfect on a chilly, rainy day served with crusty bread and nice green salad. Or not. Soup by itself is just fine, too.
I always have potatoes on hand and I happened to have some cauliflower left over from a veggie plate. Potatoes + cauliflower + broth in the slow cooker = soup! It was really that simple. Mix with cream or milk, top with shredded cheese (and maybe some bacon!) ... presto! Dinner is served.
5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
32 ounces vegetable broth
Salt and pepper
1 cup cream or milk (save for the end)
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (save for the end)
1. Combine potatoes, onions, garlic, cauliflower, broth, and salt & pepper in a slow cooker.
2. Cook on low for six hours.
3. Using an immersion blender, blend the potatoes and cauliflower until it is creamy.
4. Add the cream or milk. Stir well. Add most of the shredded cheese - save a bit for the top.
5. Ladle into bowls and top with more shredded cheese and bacon and green onions, if desired!
|Chopped green onions ...|